Their Place in Effective Grinding
Grinding fluids are used in grinding operations for basically the same reasons cutting fluids are used in other metal cutting operations. The basic functions are:
- Cooling effect keeps work temperature uniform to prevent distortion of the workpiece.
- Lubrication reduces friction between wheel and workpiece.
- Washes away swarf.
- Prevents the wheel from loading.
- Helps in achieving a good surface finish.
Warning: Using coolants with a Themac grinder is considered unsafe, and may cause electric shock. Do not use the grinder in a wet, or damp, environment.
There are a few things to keep in mind when using coolants. Bearing failure will occur when coolant or other contaminants are allowed to enter the bearings, even in very small quantities.
- Always start the grinder before the coolant is turned on, and allow the grinder to run a few minutes after the coolant has been turned off.
- Make sure the coolant flow is kept away from the spindle bearings.
- If the coolant is splashing or running up onto the bearing area, special guarding must be installed to protect the bearings.
Using your Themac grinder in a wet, or damp, environment will void the warranty.